The Brandenburg Gate was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II to represent peace and has played different political roles in German history. After the 1806 Prussian defeat at the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt, the Quadriga was carried off to Paris by Napoléon. After his defeat in 1814 Blüchers troops brought the Quadriga back to Berlin. In common parlance the Berliners called it the „comeback“ (Retourkutsche). The Nazis used the Gate as a party symbol. In 1961 when the Wall was built it became part of the Russian Zone and then the symbol of German reunification on November 9th, 1989 when East and West Berliners celebrated on top of the Wall in front of it.