The Bergmann Elektrizitätswerke AG has a dramatic history. It was built between 1907-10 by the far-sighted Sigmund Bergman. 18 vast buildings were constructed and 7500 workers employed. They began producing steam and ship turbines, later locomotives and automobiles. The buildings was heavily bombed during the war and 75% were destroyed. After the war, the Soviet Military Administration took over and volunteers began to rebuild the bombed buildings. During the period of the GDR regime the factory grounds became part of the sector border and at least one well-planned mass escape was organised there. It is now administered by ABB Bergmann-Borsig and many different companies work on the areal. (Wilhelmsruh).