Köppchensee lies in the Tegeler Fließ nature sanctury area, which marked the border between East and West. In the 19th century a network of drainage ditches were constructed and peat was cut. When that ceased in 1930 the Köppchensee formed. The area was used for many different kinds of agriculture over the centuries, which led to the forming of most diverse biotopes. One finds here old peat-cuttings, fen woods, dry and neglected grasslands, arable land and old orchard fields. An ideal place for flora and fauna to co-exist.