The hermitage was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm II in 1796. It lies in the New Garden on a headland Am Quapphorn. The little pavilion is without windows (the light is through a little opening in the roof) and the original outer skin was of oak bark. The floor was white marble and brabant. In the centre of the room was a world map of marble marquetry. The ceiling was decorated by figurative representations of the eight planets. Statues were place in the four corners of the room. It was taken down during the building of the Wall in 1964, but some of the interior was secured and stored by the palace custodians. Rebuilding of the exterior began in 2007.