Prince Carl von Preußen, son of King Friedrich Wilhelm III. commissioned the architect Ferdinand von Arnim to build nine Swiss houses between 1863 and 1867, as quarters for his son’s attendants. This is one of four still preserved along the stream Bäke, which flows parallel to the Teltowkanal for a few hundred meters. The others were torn down during construction of the Wall. Views of these old houses can be seen in “Cycling the Frame” (1988), where Tilda stands on her bicycle to get a better view over the Wall and ponders the attributes of houses that have not been ‘renovated to death’.