Marienfelde wastewater treatment plant

This plant was built because of the island situation of West Berlin, the need to be self-sufficient due to rising costs of wastewater treament in the GDR, and closed after only 24 years in 1998. Although extremely modern in the 70s it would have needed huge investment to bring it up to EU standards and the fall of the Wall made this unnecessary. Now it stands semi-deserted, another lost areal along the former Wall, which is used for training dogs. The striking sculpture in the front court is by Fritjof Schliephacke (1930-1991), best known for a classic lamp he designed, but also a professor at the Art Academy in West Berlin and a close friend of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.