The border ran along the middle of the River Spree. The buildings on the other side are the former granary and Universal Music. The Oberbaumbrücke was built between 1894 and 1896, a neo-gothic structure comprising a bridge for cars and, on the upper level, the U-Bahn (city train system). The train viaduct provided shelter for pedestrians. The bridge was badly damaged during the war and Hitler ordered it to be dynamited to prevent the Russian advance. The central vaulted arch collapsed and the towers’ roofs fell. After 1990 the bridge was restored, with some new elements, by the architect Calatrava.