The Engeldamm (Angel Embankment) marked the sector border and the houses on either side faced one another across the Wall. The street was called Engelufer (Angel Bank) and was re-named Engeldamm between 1937 and 1951, then Fritz-Heckert-Straße until 1991 (Fritz Heckert was a founder of the German Communist Party), and then Engeldamm again. This fate befell many streets in Berlin. On the former East side stands the Union House, which was originally commissioned by the German Transport Organisation and built by Max Taut according to modifications of Bruno Taut and Franz Hoffmann’s plans. It has changed hands and names several times since it was built, not dissimilar to the street on which it stands.