An extension to the Berlin Wall Documentation Center at Bernauerstraße and Ackerstraße. Fifty large-format photos illustrate the changes on the Bernauer Straße from 1961 to the present and document the construction of the Wall and the years of division. The Versöhnungskirche (Church of Atonement) was built in 1894. A week after the Wall began to be constructed in August, 1961, the main portal of the Church wall was bricked up so that the West Berliner congregation could no longer attend church services. The church was soon closed completely and the spire was used as a watchtower. It stood on the death strip until it was dynamited by the GDR government in January of 1985.